Sunday, May 2, 2010

National Scrapbooking Day

Just got home from working the National Scrapbooking Day Crop.  It was a 16 hr crop, ending at 2 am.  We had all kinds of games, tons of food and movies.  I think everyone had a great time.  Got to see lots of great projects everyone was working on.  So many talented scrappers out there.  So on that note, Happy National Scrapbooking day!!  Hope everyone got to spend a little time scrapping it up and enjoying their creative time. 

This week is gonna be a little crazy.  Alot of the employees at work are on vacation, so I am working alot more hours.  (Just keep telling yourself the money is good)  But I sure would like to be one of them on vacation.  Sigh!  One of these days... Tuesday is my regular make and take night.  Work all day Wednesday, and that evening is Wannabe Wednesday(stay tuned for pics from me and Val), we are creating six cute ATC cards using the new October Afternoon Thrift Shop line.  Thursday is my one day to work on and finish a custom layout for someone.  Also need to finish up my cards using that new October Afternoon paper.  And then some Father's day cards, and on to Halloween and Christmas for my Etsy site.  Gee I feel worn out just talking about it.  On top of it all I am still yearning to create some altered art.  Maybe next week...  Well here are a few cards I had created for my Tuesday make and takes from the last 2 weeks. 
This card was from 2 weeks ago (I know I am a little behind).  We used some new Lillybee Designs paper and some Hero Art Stamps. 
Technique:  For this card  stamp and emboss the image of the flower with white embossing powder, onto watercolor paper.  Then use Distress inks on a blending tool and rub inks over the embossed image.  After you have inked to desired look,  spray the card with a mixture of water, and perfect pearls powder in a Mini Mister.  Since it was on watercolor paper it soaked in, and sorta bled together giving it a really cool washed vintage look.  With the perfect pearls added it also gave it a really wonderful sparkle and shine.  Super Easy, Super Fun! 
This card was from last week.  I simply love it.  We used  2 hero art stamps(dandelion frame,on mother's day), and a really beautiful frame from Savvy Stamps(love frame).  The paper we used was an older October Afternoon line.  I just thought that black and white crossword puzzle was so cute! 
Technique:  To create the flowers cut random shapes with Spellbinder dies ( we used scalloped circles and flower shapes of varying sizes, 3 for the large, 2 for the small).  After they are cut  lay them all out and give them one little squirt with some Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist.  While they are wet crumple them into balls( this helps to break down the fibers in the paper, making them more flexible).  After crumpling,  open them back up, and fold them in half (colored sides in) and give them a quick little twist on the bottom.  After twisting them, hold the twisted area and gently unfold, opening the flower up to desired effect.  Repeat these steps for all the layers.  Then glue the layers together using Glossy Accent.  After they are glued give them another more solid covering of Glimmer Mist, making sure there are no white areas showing.  Set aside and allow glue to set up(only a minute or so, you can speed up the drying time with a heat gun).  Once they are dry, you can fluff them a little ( the paper should be hard again).  We added a pearl for the centers and even a little touch of Distress stickles for added age.  And vuala, beautiful vintage looking handmade flowers!! 
I leave you all with this random pic of Skye being a princess for a day( she was feeling left out when I was wearing her crown for my birthday).  I had promised her we would get some pics of her wearing it.  I think she wanted to feel like the princess she is!  She always runs to the same white wall for pictures too, she is so stinkin cute! 
That's it for today, a storm is coming in and I am gonna try and catch some ZZZ's to the sound of thunder (so relaxing!)  Happy Sunday all! 
Nicki Chicky

No comments: